Carbonated Beverages, Anyone?
There is much debate over what to call carbonated beverages. Some prefer to call them pop, while others prefer to call it soda or soft drinks. The correct way to say it is to say “soft drink.”
The word “pop” can be used in many different ways, which makes it confusing for one to say “pop” instead of “soft drink.” One of the uses of the word “pop” that I found in the dictionary was “A drink or portion of an alcoholic beverage, as a drink of whiskey or a glass of beer.” Therefore, when one says “I had pop tonight” it could mean that they either had a carbonated beverage or that they had an alcoholic beverage. This can be very confusing, to say the least. A meaning for “a pop” is “each or apiece.” That means that if someone said, “I’ll give them to you for $30 a pop,” one wouldn’t know if he was going to pay $30 for each can of pop he bought, or if he was going to pay the person $30 for each of whatever he may have been selling.
“Coke,” though not as dominantly spoken in
The word “soda” is most prominent in the north-eastern
To be clearer when talking about carbonated beverages it is good to say “soft drink” which is stated in the dictionary as “a beverage that is not alcoholic or intoxicating and is usually carbonated, as root beer or ginger ale.” That is the one and only meaning for “soft drink.” That would mean that if someone stated “I drank a soft drink tonight” everyone listening would automatically know that they had consumed a carbonated beverage. Consequently, there wouldn’t be much debate as to what the person was talking about, therefore, making the statement much less confusing than using “pop,” “coke,” or “soda.”
3 comments:
You made some good points. However, I do have a few arguements against it.
1) When a waitor at a restraunt asks you what you would like to drink and you say, "I'd like a soda please." They do not think you are asking for cocaine, or coal, of alcohol. They automatically assume you are talking about caffeinated beverage.
2) People don't use Coke, Pop, or Soda for much other than caffeinated beverages. Of course, if I was in a crowd full of gangsters (using slang) then yes, they may think that you are talking about cocaine or something. But, normally, people will not think you are talking about that. They will think you are speaking of caffeinated beverages.
3) In the AIO episode when Eugene first comes to Whit's End, Tom welcomes him by saying, "Howdy!". Eugene laughs and says, "Howdy,an abbreviated form of the phrase, 'How do you do?', in answer, Tom, I farewell, thank you."--- as you can see from this example, only people who are as odd as Eugene would take your words so deep into their true meaning. People, on a normal basis, will not think you are talking about anything besides caffeinated beverages.
As you could see from asking people on the ToO chat, most people do not use "soft drinks".
May I make a point though. I do not mind if you use the words "soft drinks", everyone is unique and has every right to say whatever they wish. But what you are saying is that we are saying it wrong by using "soda". I simply disagree.
*Grins*
It's just my personal opinion. :noway:
Nice, but I'll still stick with calling them carbonated beverages.
Post a Comment